site hit counter

⋙ Read JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden



Download As PDF : JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

Download PDF  JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

This is tale of test and triumph in the high Himalayan Mountains in Nepal. Journey – On Mastering Ukemi is for everyone who has ever fallen down. Those of us who train at Aikido know it as taking ukemi, but it is still falling. The country song goes, ‘Funny how falling feels like flying – for a little while…’ and taking ukemi is just like that. Until you land. This book is about the landing and all the rest of it, from the initial attack until we are back on our feet.
The Journey we all take from birth to death can be exciting, powerful, enriching and engaging or it can be one of quiet desperation. The choice is yours. Journey is a tale of one young man's attempt to engage that kind of life and his teacher's attempts to show him the way. Mr. Linden demonstrates a sense of humor, self-deprecation, and humility almost unique in the world of martial art masters and Aikido teachers especially. His worldly views and occasional sea stories makes this one of the most enriching and wonderful books about martial arts and personal triumph ever written.
It has been compared to THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR and in many ways has the same intense one-on-one teacher/student exchange so many found touching and powerful in that classic. Chris is ready for something new and powerful in his life and his Aikido teacher shows him the way out the door. A door that once opened changes the traveler forever. You can never go back home again feeling the same way after hiking across the backbone of the world for forty days. You will never see people the same again after experiencing the wisdom and kindness of those we find along the road.
Journey- On Mastering Ukemi will take you there and show you the door.

JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

Written by a 50 year practicing Aikido sensei (of varied other talents as well) it is an extension of the concept of ukemi (the arts of self-protection that uke (the one who receives the technique or takes the fall) and broadens it to reflect the development of true upright character - all wrapped up in a group journey high into the Himalayas. Wonderful.

Product details

  • File Size 2557 KB
  • Print Length 224 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN 1461069270
  • Publisher Basswood Press, Orlando, FLorida (November 30, 2013)
  • Publication Date November 30, 2013
  • Sold by  Digital Services LLC
  • Language English
  • ASIN B004ZM9UBO

Read  JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

Tags : Buy JOURNEY: On Mastering Ukemi (The Aikido Series Book 3): Read 13 Books Reviews - Amazon.com,ebook,Daniel Linden,JOURNEY: On Mastering Ukemi (The Aikido Series Book 3),Basswood Press, Orlando, FLorida,SPORTS & RECREATION Martial Arts & Self-Defense,TRAVEL Asia Central
People also read other books :

JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden Reviews


I've been practicing aikido for a number of years now and just really love all of Mr. Linden's books. A great read.
GOOD BOOK
I have trained aikido for many years so when I saw a new book on aikido for I just snapped it up. But I never read a book on martial arts like this before. This is not a book that shows you how to do the techniques of ukemi like rolling or breakfalls. This is an adventure story that is an allegory for the spirit of ukemi, recklessly throwing oneself into life regardless of risk.

I agree with the other review that compares this to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. The discussion of the philosophy of ukemi (commonly thought of as the art of falling) interweaves the main story line both overtly and in the form of brief sub-stories, entertaining digressions that give the book a full, rich, and profound construction.

But enough of the literary babble - it's a great read too!
Very interesting story....It kept my attention from beginning to end.
Do not trust the reviews. This work is half baked literature and lacking in ukemi guidance. It is a veiled autobiographical work presenting a persona of Mr. Linden.

I have read 134 pages and will read no more. He or his editor at my time of reading did not appear much concerned with spelling nor consistency of character or setting. Details matter. They establish credibility. Mr. Linden is not credible in paying attention to details. If ukemi encourage robust training and protect against injury, details matter.

The setting in the edition of the text I purchased shifts randomly from Florida, to Maine, to Florida. Characters suddenly appear (Ezra; at this point I call sycophancy).

I've culled about two pages of practical ukemi ideas out of 134 pages of reading. This guy is no Robert Persig, though Persig had the integrity to acknowledge his book as a poor representation of both Zen and motorcycle maintenance.

Maybe title words like "mastery" sell, however, the use seems more as an epaulet, rather than a means of instilling a notion of fulfilling and expanding personal potential. I'd also point out that what might be lost in the wabi sabi of legitimate self improvement vis a vis martial arts is communicated by the U.S. citizen W. Edwards Deming who is better known to the Japanese than his own countrymen.

Maybe, short of experience, a review of technical "tumbling" literature would be a better use of time. Maybe this is a good book for discussion among the members of the Aikido "academy."

Furthermore out of respect, I'd be more more interested as a reader in this author's words if he would step out of his hakama as a position of misplaced authority given the implicit relationship between author and reader. I'm sure there are many stories of potential, resonance, resiliency, harmony, and opposition in his luthier studio.

No disrespect to this gentleman's dojo, but I feel my time and money have been wasted. Waste is a regrettable fact of life to be mitigated. There is demand for a credible study of Ukemi in English. Perhaps it has been lost within the etymology of the word "competition."
I read Journey over a long weekend and found myself too engrossed in the adventure story to look for Ukemi instruction. I found it engrossing, funny, and almost too human in some parts. Most travel and adventure stories portray their heroes more heroically. Having traveled extensively I recognize the truth in this book.

My wife read it next and her remark to me when she had finished was not her enjoyment of it, but her surprise at how skillfully the author had constructed a story that so perfectly mimicked the act of ukemi. (We both practice Aikido) She patiently took me through the story part by part.

I read it again. I have to admit that I missed it the first time I read it, missed it, but there it was, and Mr. Linden did warn us. He states that it is an allegorical tale, but not that it is a perfect evolution of the act of ukemi. It is so remarkable that I'm feeling a bit chagrined at my own inability to see it. So that is why I say subtle... perhaps too subtle. It will require a long education in Aikido to understand and grasp all the lessons presented here, but anyone who reads this book will love it.

Masterful work by a fine writer.
Written by a 50 year practicing Aikido sensei (of varied other talents as well) it is an extension of the concept of ukemi (the arts of self-protection that uke (the one who receives the technique or takes the fall) and broadens it to reflect the development of true upright character - all wrapped up in a group journey high into the Himalayas. Wonderful.
Ebook PDF  JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden

0 Response to "⋙ Read JOURNEY On Mastering Ukemi The Aikido Series Book 3 eBook Daniel Linden"

Post a Comment